Two more beers (right…), then we’re off to Göteborg and MacSysAdmin 2015, including the traditional Monday dinner at (doubly Michelin-starred) Magnus & Magnus and Max is dealing with the BORDSFÖRFRÅGAN.
At least some of the same people will also show up on 9 & 10 Feb 2016 in London at the Mac Admin & Developer Conference UK, including Göteborg Chief Tycho.—Let’s hope no Active Directories will go crazy…
Charles Edge is keeping lists:
- Apple Admin Conferences.
- Another list without us… maybe we’ll talk to him in Göteborg…
- Another fabulous talk by Maciej Cegłowski:
Web Design – The First 100 Years:
The technology was pointing in one direction, the future was clear and inevitable. And then it never happened. Why? … Boeing was genuinely surprised that people cared about this stuff. What does it matter if the sun is coming through your shattered window and burning your skin, if you can have a supersonic airliner?
- Welcome to The Internet of Compromised Things.
With interesting links: eero, Router Security, Peplink.
- Goodbye, Android.
Secure and less so:
- Firefox, good and bad.
- Facebook: Kill Flash.
- “[O]nly 7% of experts said that running antivirus software was one of the top three three things they do to stay safe online”.
- Malware scanner for (Mac) OS X: KnockKnock (UI).
Also: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.
- Ars Technica: Bug in widely used OpenSSH opens servers to password cracking.
- Content blocking:
- Daring Fireball: Safari Content Blocker, Before and After.
- Jean-Louis Gassée: What The Ad Blocker Debate Reveals.
- MacStories: The Ad Blocker Debate.
- Marco: The ethics of modern web ad-blocking. And Gruber’s comment.
But note: “@marcoarment Try Disconnect instead. Ghostery is run by an ad tech company http://t.co/Z03aXOlcB4”.
Lessons in project management:
- Apple Music:
- Asana: A better way to access projects and teams. The “update” at the top should hint at the disaster to follow; scroll to the comments and even Justin Rosenstein chimed in.
- SaneBox: Email Marketing Wall Of Shame 2015.
- How iCloud Drive Deletes Your Files Without Warning. Oops.
- So, not JAMF’s Casper, but Chef?
- virtuallyGhetto: New HTML5 Embedded Host Client for ESXi.
- Managing OS X: Using autopkg for “general purpose” packaging.
- krypted.com: Using odutil with opendirectoryd.
- Mac Backup – Acronis True Image 2015 for Mac. The Windows default cloner now for (Mac) OS X…?
- Chrome vs Safari vs Firefox web browser efficiency.
- To be tested: Printopia Pro. Avahi comes to mind…
- Geofency vs. Rewind (via LeuMund) vs. your crappy time control sheet in Excel…
- Combine all your storage: odrive. Did not know, quite impressive.
- Also did not know: Nokia put their maps in an app, for free, even for offline use: HERE is how you get there.
- Quickly put Linux on a stick, so handy: UNetbootin.
- Christian deals with lots of serial connections: Serial – Modern Terminal for the Mac.
- Max (and Matthias Kreck) worry about your table.
- .xyz. Daring Fireball: Google Breaks Itself Apart or Something.
On 20 August 2015, at 18:45, at Gloria: The [MacSysAdmin] Bier #44.
PS: Pornographic obsession: Bicycle helmets.