I spent the last days of 2014 and the first days of 2015 in bed. And not voluntarily. In that spirit:
Crap: Screen Sharing allows requests from Everyone by default. Crap: iCloud Uploads Local Data Outside of iCloud Drive. Crap: Mac App Store: The Subtle Exodus. Crap: Faster Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite Upgrades for Developers. Crap: RAM in the new Mac mini; cf. A look at the 2014 Mac mini; then again, your “old” quad-core Mac mini’s now worth more. Crap: iOS: Troubleshooting Personal Hotspot: “You can’t share your cellular data connection with another iPhone using Bluetooth.”—Why I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos; not even remotely funny. Crap: Ars was briefly hacked yesterday. Crap: My Fiber7 Internet connection; still stuck; with Swisscom; but this works: @fiber7_ch Asus RT-AC68U […] geht Doch. NAT Acceleration unter LAN auf AUTO !!. Crap: Apple has lost the functional high ground; and Apple’s Software Quality, Continued. Crap: World’s first (known) bootkit for OS X can permanently backdoor Macs.
Then again, THERE HAS BEEN AN AWAKENING. And 😀. So [t]he World Is Not Falling Apart. And we’re in the future. And we get amazing things (and I don’t mean you know what). Also, the force awakens, if I forgot to mention that…
Also new this year: Our calendar on CalendarTree. Because how could you not use a service by Scott Adams. So, come, join me: [MacSysAdmin] Bier 2015. (Of course, our Google calendar remains, for now.)
- Email really doesn’t know where it’s going; one side is trying to make it into another social instant messenger; the other side is almost pulling out the quill.
- More (MD)M options: Bushel, Sal(+).
- No, not Linder: AutoPkgr.
- Downloading Server.app for Mavericks and Mountain Lion.
- Simple way to use Internet Explorer: RemoteIE. Cf. ievms.
- Cute: An Illustrated History of Mac OS X.
- Anthor keyboard: Next.
- ePub and Mobi (and CHM) in one app: Clearview.
- (Mac) OS X specific commands and their arguments: edify.
- Everybody offers a SIM now, even your local airline: SWISS Mobile. You get a UK number, on which you can receive calls for free pretty much anywhere. Data is still mostly cheaper with a local SIM…
- The Economist Essay: From Papyrus to Pixels: The Digital Transformation Has Only Just Begun (The Future of the Book): Smart and well done.
- Office and Dropbox to work together on phones, tablets and web.
- Postach.io: The Evernote powered blogging platform.
- For the bloggers: Desk.
- In case you buy a new, different phone: Deregister and Turn Off iMessage.
- RIP Mac OS X Hints, Nov 4 2000 – Nov 4 2014.
- More monitoring: Bosun.
- The slogan makes me laugh: Flashlight: “What if Spotlight could do anything?”. Seriously: What if Spotlight did anything?
- Still in beta, but still: BusyContacts.
- Down For Everyone Or Just Me?
- Not Asana? Why I Left iCloud Reminders for Todoist.
And when Andrei gets to sort out his Power Macs and non-nuclear Mac Pros, we’ll build benches.
So, two things:
- Thursday, 15 Jan 2015 at 18:45 at Gloria for the first beer of 2015.
- And have you felt it? Just in case…
Es guets Nois, M&M