We can’t not talk about Apple and the FBI:
- Code to ruin?
- Apple, FBI, and the Burden of Forensic Methodology.
- Edward Snowden: The @FBI is creating a world where citizens rely on #Apple to defend their rights, rather than the other way around.
- US: “Tech, make backdoors b/c fighting terrorism is hard” US: “China, how dare you force tech cos to make backdoors”: Obama sharply criticizes China’s plans for new technology rules.
Less high-profile, but no less high-impact: Apple Blacklists Its Own Ethernet Driver. Oops.
Notes from the past month:
- VMware Fusion, Workstation team culled in company restructure. Ugh.
- Then Mandrill pissed off the Internet, e.g.: A pox upon the house of MailKimp. I take @textfiles levels of umbrage to their Mandrill change. a) way too fast b) super unforgiving.
- First Mac ransomware spotted.
- Munki Conf 2016.
- USB-C cables are playing Russian Roulette with your laptop. Includes links to Benson Leung’s reviews on Amazon.
- ResetPlug – A smart plug to monitor your WiFi router/modem and automatically reset power if WiFi fails.
- Impressive reaction time: CVE–2015–7547 and OnHub (via Chris Adams).
- Alternative: Need to detect filesystem changes for packaging, but don’t want to use InstallEase or Composer?: logGen.
- Another alternative: HashBackup: Linux, Mac, FreeBSD Server Backup.
- RTFM: Actually, read everything.
[MacSysAdmin] Bier #51 on Thursday, 17 March 2016, from 18:45 at Gloria, as always.
From LaLa-Land, M’n’M